Thursday, October 18, 2007

Indentity Crisis!

I'll share my dilemma, and hopefully someone will have a perfect solution for it (doubtful).
I have an avatar in Second Life, the online multiverse of over a million residents. I also have a blog, a separate Gmail account, and Twitter account in that avatar's name.
When I stopped blogging under my real name it was because I couldn't find the happy medium between professional and personal use of online tools. I am an all or nothing type of guy. If I use Twitter, I want to post about work, but in the same account, I want to be able to follow my friends and post about everyday life too. I can understand having a separate blog, and even email address, but when it comes to online collaboration and social-networking, I'm now forced to split myself into "professional identity" and "personal identity". The problem then arises when I choose to take advantage of mobility options (like SMS messages...which account do I set up?).
I have never shared my Second Life avatar or Web2.0 info with anyone as an educator, but as I look into ways of using the internet to better myself teaching skills and students' learning skills...I find myself in an identity crisis.

Simply put...can my career dictate my social contacts?

No comments:

Post a Comment